Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Day Four - Wherefore Art Thou, Sad Runner?

Day four of running.  Alas, my fan club, I have not abandoned thee, nor the horrible activity they call "running".  I stole my husband away for his birthday this past weekend, and although I didn't run, we did walk a lot around the beautiful city of Chicago - one day about 8 miles.  Yes, I counted that as exercise.  As a person who walks lots, I know 8 miles is nothing to sneeze at, so there.  Also the fact that we were only taking carry-on luggage prevented me from bringing my sneakers - there was plenty of room, however, for 2 cute pairs of strappy sandals.  Yesterday I was far too busy having myself a cranky girl pity party, so I didn't run.  I ate about 3 desserts to justify my bad attitude and washed it all down with a nice tall glass of self-loathing.  Time to bury that mess with a shovel and bury the shovel.  Today, I begin again and I was out the door at 6:14 a.m., sun shining, with a renewed sense of hope that I would truly be able to complete 3.5 miles (without throwing up, passing out or dislocating something) by July 16th, and the hope that I could vanquish some of the cottage cheese that has taken up residence in my thighs.  A reduction in underarm flappage whilst waving would be a bonus we could all appreciate.  So I'm off!

I decided to wear a new pair of running capris I picked up at my favorite posh retailer, Value Village.  I didn't try them on before I bought them, only after I got home, and they were comfy and seemed to fit well.  Good to go.  After going about 1/2 a block, they begin to droop a little in the waist.  Hmmmm.  Hike 'em up, keep going.  No luck.  Exercise welcher that I am, my train of thought goes this way - "Turn around, go home and change.  By the time I do that, it'll be 10 minutes later.  The kids will be getting up for school.  I should just stay home and run later, after they leave.  But we have a conference call this morning.  Maybe I should just go home and start back up tomorrow.  Or I could run after dinner."  Knowing full well this was all "el toro poo-poo" (as my Aunt likes to say), I pulled the ponytail holder out of my hair and cinched up the waistband of my pants with it.  Fabulous!  Problem solved.  My hair was a scene in and of itself, but in the interest of public (emotional & psychological) safety, I decided it was more important for my pants to stay up than my hair.  I plodded on.

Slug Alley was relaxed today - a few buddies here and there, but not the usually throng of critters to greet me.  Perhaps they didn't get up until 6:30 a.m. today.  The sun was shining on my already pink face and Jane's Addiction was up on the playlist, so all was well in my world.  Enjoy sleeping in slugs!  None of that for me today!  Cruising along to the base of my least favorite, long, slow incline, I was happy to see a friend who lives on the corner.  After a quick wave and breathless "Hello!", I trudged on, head down and up the hill (just keep swimming, just keep swimming....).  Ironically, Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit" came on.  In my head I was renaming the song "Smells Like Middle-Aged Desperation", as I panted my way to the crest of the incline.  My friend's smiling face and greeting helped me press on to almost the crest of the incline before I decided to walk.  Amazing how far a happy face and a little encouragement can take you.  Thank you, Dominique!!  45 second walking break and it was on to the home stretch. 

No one at the Community Transit stop to greet this morning and only one or two kids on their way to school.  Earlier is quieter and today that fit my mood.  I was enjoying the bliss that comes with a little peace and the only sounds are some good tunes and the beating (read "hammering") of your own heart.  I think I was actually smiling.  Down the crazy hill known by the neighborhood as "The Big Dipper" and into my stomping grounds.  I jogged up the driveway and hit the stop on the watch.  YESSSSSS!  23:08!!!  Calling that a super success since I haven't run in 5 days.  Sweaty face picture snapped for Andrea (which I will refrain from sending until after 9 a.m. for morning sanity's sake) and the day is off to a great start.  I quelled the inner doubting voices, drubbed the attempts of my pants to foil my plans, and am happier and sweatier for it :)  See you on the road....

No comments:

Post a Comment